Molds are what some might say "simple" microscopic organisms that can grow anywhere inside your home or outdoors. They are classified as fungi.
Typically molds consist of a network of threadlike filaments that infiltrate the surface on which they are growing on. They reproduce by releasing spores, which are lightweight and small enough to travel through air unknowingly.
The growth of mold often appears as green, gray, black,brown, or other types of discoloration.
These micrscopic organisms may seem like they would do no harm, but guess again! Mold is a serious health hazard in the home environment and should not be played with. As it produces allergens,irritants, and in some cases, toxic substances. Mold can trigger respiratory problems such as asthma in vulnerable and allergic populations, therefore preventative measures are a crucial part in ensuring quality living and air conditions in your home.
The most common symptoms include but are not limited to:runny nose, eye irritation, coughing, congestion, severe headaches and exacerbation of asthma in those who have the illness.
Health impacts vary depending on the mycotoxins at issue and the nature of exposure. Skin rashes, fatigue, dizziness, flu-like symtons, nausea, respiratory and eye irratation, immuno-suppression, birth defects, lung inflamation, and cancer have been associated with exposure to mycotoxins. People who are exposed to high levels of mold toxins (e.g. mold remediators, or farm workers) may be at risk for organic toxic dust syndrome (OTDS) or hypersensativity pneumonitis (HP). ODTS may occur after a single, heavy exposure to mycotoxins, and usually causes fever, respiratory, and flu like symptons. HP is an immunological disease caused by repeated, high level exposures to the same agent, and can result in permanent lung damage.