How to address stubborn mold

    Every time the walls on your home or place of business get moist, there is a danger of mold. They start out as small black spots that are generally ignored but soon can take over a big patch of your walls. In small amounts, you might not even notice them but large patches catch the eye immediately. They can cause all sorts of health problems, including allergies and respiratory issues. Some types of molds can be seriously detrimental to your health.


    That’s why you need to address mold as soon as you spot it. Small patches of mold can be removed easily by anyone with products found in your home. However, to ensure that you’ve eliminated the problem completely, it is best to bring in some professionals.


    Identifying mold


    Mold can leave unsightly black marks on your walls that can be instantly spotted. In small amounts, they can easily be treated by household cleaning agents like bleach. Smell is also a big indicator of mold as a room with the fungus growing would smell musty and woodsy and slightly unpleasant.


    They usually develop when the air is moist and humid and the conditions are warm enough for them to thrive. To prevent mold for occurring in the first place, you need to identify and treat any sort of water leakage problems and damage as soon as you spot it. When you smell mold but can’t find it, be sure to check behind furniture, under the carpets and in hidden corners.


    Eliminating mold


    • Before you begin to tackle mold, you need to wear protective gear. Breathing in mold can be dangerous and if it gets in your eyes or in your mouth, your health might be at risk.


    • After you’ve taken all necessary precautions, check the problem areas. If mold is growing on tiles and solid walls, it is a simple matter of cleaning them with bleach and water. Bleach will kill the mold.


    • If it is under the carpet, you need to carefully remove the carpet and treat your floors with bleach. A moldy carpet needs a thorough cleaning before you dry it in the sun for several hours.


    You need to test how solid your walls feel. If there’s some give in them, it means that the mold is within the walls and you need to take out sections of the drywall and address the mold underneath it. You might need a professional to attend to such problems and to repair your walls.